Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What It Means to Be a Mother, Part 2.

I began thinking that there is more to being a mother than possessing a great amount of love for one's child. My ethereal part 1 of this particular post is what I strive for throughout Baby Rowland's life. However I also think of the little things and how I will take it all on, specifically:

- Will I sleep, or will I just want to look at him and wait for him to open his eyes?
- Will I be able to comfort him when he cries?
- Will breastfeeding work for me?
- How will I know when he is hungry, or sick, or just plain frustrated?
- Will I be intimidated when I give him his first bath?
- Will I get tired and irritable at having little to no sleep?
- Will my husband and I work as a cohesive team (most definitely, yes)?
- Will I master changing diapers and soothing irritating skin rashes?
- Will I ever be the same again?

All of these questions are frightening to me, yet seemingly become innate to new mothers. I cannot wait for my new life to begin. I am ready to meet all these wonderful new challenges and little adventures head on.

This is what it means to be a mother to me (part 2).

No comments:

Post a Comment